1955 engines stalls when starting sometimes | Page 2 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1955 engines stalls when starting sometimes

• Thread starter Thread starter ion
  • Start date Start date
What you're describing re: the choke is the opposite of what should happen. The choke should be closed at a cold start, then open all the way as the engine warms up.
Sorry, that's what I meant.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I wasn't sure where to put this latest post so I thought this may be a place to look.
If you have been following my posts, I've been fighting ignition issues. Rechecked the points, replaced the condenser, replaced the coil with a quality original style coil, and my last test drive almost made me stranded again. When over 1500rpm while driving it would hesitate and when I let off the throttle it would backfire ( never happened before ) but got me home.
Checked everything then noticed there was a small porcelain chunk laying inside (30+yo aftermarket) resistor. Apparently it overheated and failed with an intermittent connection. Got a new one on order but another week of not driving. Going to work with my liquid electrical tape and dress the wire connections while waiting.
I finally got it running respectfully. There is a flat spot on soft acceleration. Drove it over to my expert with the symptoms. He put a timing light on it and we found it was running 8-10 btc and the idle was high after running a bit but was fine before the test drive. Hmmm... I have never had to adjust the distributor timing in over 30 years. It's finally coming to life and getting a few miles on it to fine tune. It's definitely a creature and not just a machine. Now to put my tuning skills to work as after a good run it acts differently than just tuning in the garage.

Back