1956 Tbird alternator problem? | Page 2 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1956 Tbird alternator problem?

• Thread starter Thread starter Mr. Bill
  • Start date Start date

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The Chevrolet one wire alternators are a good choice. The t bird parts suppliers such as Hills or casco can supply you with any extra brackets and spacers you may need, or you can fab your own.

When I purchased my 56 the previous owner had a weak alternator installed, It wasn't charging up the battery. I replaced it with a Delco-Remy alternator I never had a problem, If you have air condition ,electric seats and electric windows you might need a more powerful alternator . Check out ,Go to web site:https://www.delcoremy.com/alternators
Alternator.jpg

If you go back to a mechanical pump, I highly recommend you have your mechanic rebuild your old mechanical pump rather than buy a new one. Recently, the replacement pumps that are on the market are from China nad are total junk. I had one that lasted 6 months, before pulling it out and rebuilding my old AC pump. You can get a kit from the Antique Auto Parts Cellar / then-now-auto.com. You can reach them by phone at 781-335-1925. Their kits are high quality and American made and their support is great. They used to have a website, but they told me that they kept having problems with it, so they took it down.

Good luck!
I agree wholeheartedly in regards to Rebuilding vs what’s being imported from CHINA! My Carb was leaking from the main pump & I wanted to find a replacement & searched for a few weeks, Finally I found a OEM Rebuild kit, Purchased it from Ebay, After getting it, I Sat in my living room & taught my then 11 year old grandson, I told him that I was his age when my best friends Dad taught me in 1975, I told him that Mr. Simmons said he charge $50 + they have to buy the kit to rebuild them & the Large Carburetor Shop Charges $150, He said the only difference in him & Them is, They paint that carb He said if you want him to paint it Buy the paint also & He’ll charge $150, The next day when my Grandson saw that Carb & It was also painted, I told him the kit was $28.00 & The Paint costed $12.00 & It was still much better than an import b/c It’s the Original Carb!

Back