1957 Steering Column / Steering Wheel - What is missing | Page 2 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1957 Steering Column / Steering Wheel - What is missing

Tight? Oh my yes. I ultimately filed a sort of taper at the back side to accommodate the steering shaft and then continue the hub of the steering wheel almost to the end. Once I was able to get the nut on and tighten, I got nervous and pulled the wheel again to further file the hub of the wheel without totally screwing up its ability to grip the splines…took 1/2 a day

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have to add….that 15” wheel is a great idea… the wheel normally is right up in my “space”. The smaller wheel is a comfortable fit. Worth the aggravation and effort. Did it on both the ‘56 and the ‘57. By the way…for the purists, I have 2 17” wheels and horn rings sitting in the garage.. 😉

I have to add….that 15” wheel is a great idea… the wheel normally is right up in my “space”. The smaller wheel is a comfortable fit. Worth the aggravation and effort. Did it on both the ‘56 and the ‘57. By the way…for the purists, I have 2 17” wheels and horn rings sitting in the garage.. 😉
Thank goodness I'm 5'6" at best 135lbs and fit perfectly as stock. I fit on airplanes really well too. 😎

Back