1962 Thunderbird. Hard to start after warm | Page 2 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1962 Thunderbird. Hard to start after warm

• Thread starter Thread starter Rob C
  • Start date Start date
Start by removing the vacuum hoses and plug the ports off. Start car with a vacuum gauge hooked up. If it runs well adjust carb. You could have a bad booster.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

A major exhaust manifold leak is usually heard as a tick or snap which increaes with RPM and is loudest when the engine is cold. Remember 4 stroke engines, are suck, squeeze, bang, blow; and the parts on the "suck" side of things are prone to vacuum leaks - meaning the induction parts such as carb, intake manifold and somtimes PCV systems. I've never had a vacuum leak at a valve cover or exhaust manifold. As noted, if you have a power brake booster its worth checking that as well.

Also I've prob put two dozen Pertronix conversions in vintage cars, there was a spate of Meixo-built Flame Thrower coils that had intermittent failures, the latest ones seem to be fine, but if yours is an older one I'd replace it.

Last edited:
Back