2002 No power, alternator problem? | Page 2 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2002 No power, alternator problem?

• Thread starter Thread starter Netconn
  • Start date Start date

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

After wrestling a new alternator back under the bird I'm happy to report that it's charging again. The only thing I had to do was reset the windows and reset the radio stations. I think the government should pass a law stating all auto designers must work on the cars they design before unleashing these things onto the public.

So, Murphy's Law. I just listed my 2002 T-bird for sale. It's been perfect for years... And now there seems to be an alternator problem. I was getting the battery light for a few minutes, every so often when I start the car in the morning, it goes off and all seems fine. Yesterday I start the car, no battery light, it was dark so I had the headlights, radio, heater on. I'm driving down the road and the ABS & traction lights come on, next the radio shuts off, next the heater shuts off, my radar detector says "Low Battery" and it shuts off. Headlights dim and engine not running great, but running. I keep driving to get to my destination as best I can. About 5 minutes into this everything comes back on, headlights bright and the ABS & traction lights are off.. All is well again.. I park the car. I drive the car back home later last night and the same thing happened.

I'm assuming the alternator has failed and is intermittent. But I don't see the battery light come on at all. I also assume the computers shut down everything when the battery voltage drops below a set voltage.

Anyone seen this happen?
I had a condition were the alt lamp would would go on for a few minutes. I hooked up my Fluke meter to the cigar lighter and the next time it happened the Fluke read 14V and the Alt light was on. I assumed that the connection from the Alt to the control module was intermittent. There is a small plug on the Alt which I removed and could see no corrosion on the plug or socket. I sprayed the socket and plug with "Deox" which is Ford approved and the problem has not returned. I believe the issue was "White Corrosion" which happens between tinned plated surfaces under high vibration conditions.

So, Murphy's Law. I just listed my 2002 T-bird for sale. It's been perfect for years... And now there seems to be an alternator problem. I was getting the battery light for a few minutes, every so often when I start the car in the morning, it goes off and all seems fine. Yesterday I start the car, no battery light, it was dark so I had the headlights, radio, heater on. I'm driving down the road and the ABS & traction lights come on, next the radio shuts off, next the heater shuts off, my radar detector says "Low Battery" and it shuts off. Headlights dim and engine not running great, but running. I keep driving to get to my destination as best I can. About 5 minutes into this everything comes back on, headlights bright and the ABS & traction lights are off.. All is well again.. I park the car. I drive the car back home later last night and the same thing happened.

I'm assuming the alternator has failed and is intermittent. But I don't see the battery light come on at all. I also assume the computers shut down everything when the battery voltage drops below a set voltage.

Anyone seen this happen?
Using a DC volt meter, check the voltage across your battery (plus to minus) with engine running. It should read between 14.5 to 12.5 volts if the alternator is working correctly and the "v" belt is tight. More than likely it would be one of those items.

Back