2003 PO442 Engine code Small leak in evap system | Page 2 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003 PO442 Engine code Small leak in evap system

• Thread starter Thread starter eh2653
  • Start date Start date

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You can do a smoke test on the car to find the leak.

Has anyone had an issue with emission system leak PO442. Tried everything including smoke test. Any ideas?

I am getting a check engine light on indicating a PO442 Evaporative Emission System leak. Ford did a smoke test and could not find any leaks. I am able to turn off the light off using a check engine scanner but light comes back on after 100 miles approximately. Issue does not affect drivability. Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Ford did a smoke test and could not find any leaks.
Actually, it is probably a Franchised Ford Dealership, not Ford, which often has flunkies working there doing the easy stuff like smoke tests. They didn't do the test properly because the computer isn't telling you there is an EVAP leak for no reason. One thing we know for sure, they did not do their job or you would not still have an Evap leak. Did you pay them? Because I wouldn't have paid them a dime if they didn't fix it.
I am able to turn off the light off using a check engine scanner but light comes back on after 100 miles approximately. Issue does not affect drivability.
Resetting codes serves no purpose unless it's after you found and repaired the problem and want to expedite the CEL being turned off.
Does anyone have any experience with this problem?
Yes, start reading on Post #1 of this thread.

Are you filling your tank even more AFTER the auto-shutoff on the gas pump clicks off? Try ending your fillup as soon as the handle pops off. Worked for me...

Back