2004 Thermostat will not open | Page 2 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2004 Thermostat will not open

• Thread starter Thread starter soflaman
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gus, my real problems started after putting some two part "stop leak" in the system. All spring and summer I was smelling antifreeze and having to put in a 16 oz glass of water in coolant tank. I could still drive car with no problem. Come September I started to think about winter coming on and not wanting to keep adding new antifreeze once a week, so I decided to try the stop leak. Soon after adding stop leak the electric fans started coming on and started to overheat. Great - stop leaked clogged something up it wasn't suppose to, so I flushed the radiator and system - now it is leaking like a sieve, heat not working, etc...……

Wish you could reset vehicle like you can a computer - I would just reset to August and go back to only having to add coolant once a week.

Now Christmas is here and then Jan. and Feb - no rush to get it going. Now my goal is to get it fixed by opening day of baseball season.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Good Luck Elsie. This is what my shop manual shows for the cooling system on my 02.
system_cooling.gif

Item Part Number Description
1 — Coolant control valve (This is the part that went bad on my car)
2 8260 Upper radiator hose
3 8A520 Coolant outlet tube
4 18472 Heater inlet hoses (2 req'd)
5 18472 Heater outlet hose
6 18476 Heater core
7 6049 Cylinder head RH
8 — Cylinder head gasket (2 req'd)
9 6050 Cylinder head LH
10 — Throttle body adapter
11 — Engine vent hose
12 — Degas bottle
13 — Relief valve