Layoffs | Page 2 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Layoffs

• Thread starter Thread starter TbirdMarty
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Birdman

The Wixom Plant builds the Contential, LS, Town Car and the Thunderbird.

Body shop has its own line for each model.

Paint runs all the models down the same lines. After leaving paint, the cars go into what is known as the cube ( a holding area).

There are two seperate areas for Chasis, Final and PreDelivery. One is for Lincolns and the other is for the Thunderbird.

No one seems to be sure how many jobs will be affected by the deletion of the Contential. We are hearing 900 jobs, but with over 3500 on roll its hard to understand how 900 will eliminate an entire shift.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Originally posted by Gobird:
FDCAPTION, Right on. I'v been a union member for 25 yrs. Local 1852 USWA. The companies have brought this on themselves but the worker has to pay for this. It doesn't seem fair but we can't do anything ABOUT THIS. The Gov. has taken all our power away from us in the last 20 years. I know that we will get people saying that the unions have gotten too much over the years, but how can you compare 20 years of experance with 4 or 6 yrs. of collage.
Just to give some of these people a background. I was making $2.50 to $3.00 an hour back in the mid 60'S when a lot of my friends were going to collage and were doing nothing except going to collage and getting supported by their parents. I didn't have the means to do this so I worked for a living. I'm not taking anything away from the people that could do this but don't condem the people that work in UNION Shops.

I'm not sure that the world is fair in general, or that it was ever meant to be, but I could never figure out why someone desevered to get paid 16.00-25.00/hour to put on a pin stripe on an assembly line. I have went into corporations and goverment institutions and seen people surfing the web instead of working. I think that maybe there have been too many employees all along combined with automation makes and a pretend bad economny makes for a good time for big companies like Ford to cut back the fat and blame it on a bad economy and avoid bad P.R. I think they have been wanting to get rid of fat and restructure for a while. We all know that are making plenty of ching ching on the trucks and SUV's. 10 grand in Ford's pocket for every sucker that buys a new Expedition 4x4, gas guzzler, only to drive in the city on snow plowed roads.

Tbird

TBIRD Moderator

Thanks from an idiot! I guess you are the self proclaimed granola head of the internet.

I have made some friends here but insults the past few hours are ridiculous.

Good bye to all as this Union brother only needed one more insult.

------------------
'56 + NM '02 Birds
'98F250'01 Olds Aurora4.0
'68 AMC AMX
'73 Volvo 1800ES

Originally posted by FDCAPTAIN:
TBIRD Moderator

I guess you are the self proclaimed granola head of the internet.

Care to provide a link to this thread? I think you are confusing me with Al Gore.

Tbird

All,

Let's stop with the insults and bickering. The world is nasty enough on it's own, let's not bring it in here. If you find someone or something insulting or in bad taste, just say so and leave it at that. If there is a particular person that you know is going to post things you don't like, don't read the post, skip it.

This should be a spot where we can come and ENJOY, share ideas and in general just relax and have a good time. Let us all try and keep it that way. Please.

FDCAPTAIN, don't go away.

FD CAPT and others,

We should understand that not everybody is a happy person. I agree that this should be a place for exchange of knowledge, pride and enjoyment of the Thunderbird. We do tend to go far a field of that at times, me included.

A happy family will have its squabbles, don't let that distract you from the good intentions of most of our members. FD Captain, please stay.

FDCAPTAIN, I've put up with the insults for years, a lot of my friends are in sales or management.I've learned to just ignore them. Life goes on but don't you go away.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. STILL WAITING Ordered in Jan. 7of12 NOW 4of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293 Build Date 01/14

Originally posted by FDCAPTAIN:
TBIRD Moderator

I wasn't trying to insult anyone, and nobody has ever explained why people that work in automobile plants get paid more than the police, fireman, or many other trades. My question is simple. Why are people getting paid 20.00/hr to put a pin stripe on a car? It may sound like a smart azz question to you, but the guy at McDonalds is on a hamburger assembly line and he isn't getting paid 20.00/hr. I am dead serious, as a young man, I really don't understand how, when or why it got started, but obviously from the job cuts in the last 5 years, truckers get laid off all the time, something in the equation did not work, now there are less jobs, more automation, and the automakers still turn a profit, to the tune of 10 grand an Expedition.

You, of all people should remember that the last hundred years EVERYTHING we use was invented or implemented widely. TV, Radio, plumbing, telephones, color TV, cable TV, Satellites, automobiles, interstates, computers, calculators, you get my point. Forget the Internet, it is forked off of everything else.

So perhaps we are still in the trial and error stages of many things including mass production and labor, medicine and many many other things. Don't kid yourself if you think we are really and advanced society, travel around the world, and see the poverty, wars and you will realize we are still very uncivilized.

Tbird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back