Tonneau Cover Fit | Page 2 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Tonneau Cover Fit

• Thread starter Thread starter clebus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard anything new about the soft boot Tom talked about in this topic?

I'd rather not use my entire trunk to hold the plastic boot they give with the car. I love the idea of a soft one that fits in a small bag.

------------------
Joe
TBIRD II - My License Plate

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The dealer has my "new" new tonneau cover on order along with the rear moulding/trim piece that has the bottom snaps attached. I guess replacing the moulding is safer than allowing Goober to have at it with his new set of pliers and a pop rivet gun.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Blue/Blue Premium
Full Interior Accent
" Gotta Love It "

Let us know if the new one fits any better than the old one. Based upon my initial struggle with mine, I'm guessing it'll be the same.

For what it's worth, I think I'll skip the tonneau cover and drive without any cover unless I can find a soft one. Soft covers are easier to install and don't take up the entire trunk.

------------------
Joe
TBIRD II - My License Plate

It looks good, but I can't get the last snap snapped...it was a tough job and we really struggled with it....I think I'd rather have the softy....

T

Originally posted by TBIRD II:
Let us know if the new one fits any better than the old one. Based upon my initial struggle with mine, I'm guessing it'll be the same.

For what it's worth, I think I'll skip the tonneau cover and drive without any cover unless I can find a soft one. Soft covers are easier to install and don't take up the entire trunk.

I just got this reply from Keith at Z3Solutions: "Tom M will get the first prototype in PA as he has offered his car for the
fitting. I'm certain he will be taking pictures and showing it off. As with
all new designs we'll want a test period prior to production. I am hopeful
this will go without having design revisions but it is hard to say. At best
we're looking at 3 months, typically it takes 6 months to bring a new product
on line. This project is a top priority for us."

b2bird:

I PROMISE I will get pictures of the new boot cover up as soon as Keith gets it to me. I guess I'll send them to Jodrod for him to post, that way all of you can find them easily.

Fair enough?

I think Keith has a major winner on his hands here. And believe me, he's a great guy to deal with, as soon as they are available he will get them in your hands!

Tom M

> TBird II
Had my new moulding piece installed today and Installed the new tonneau cover. It's snung, but I'm 6 for 6. All snaps stay engaged. I couldn't be more pleased. That being said, I'm getting one of those soft boots as soon as they become available. This clumsy original cover is going into a plastic bag and then the closet for safe keeping for when my grandkids sell the car in a hundred years or so!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Blue/Blue Premium
Full Interior Accent
Production #3944 VIN#3847
" Gotta Love It "

I just got my hardtop off for the first time - no sign of water on the softtop after two hand washes. The hardest thing for me was getting the removal tool to line up properly with the bolts. My advice - do it in broad daylight so you can seat the tool properly. I had the tonneau laying flat on a bed for two days, so snapping it on was relatively easy. Put me down for one of those soft boot covers, though!
smile.gif

Question - do most people keep the softtop up when the car is garaged? Seems like it would help a lot to keep out dirt.

Yes, I keep the soft top up at night whenever I will not be driving it again for a couple of days. More importantly, if the car is clean I put the car cover on to keep the whole car clean for the next ride. However, if I plan on driving the next morning, I sometimes leave it topless and uncovered for the night in the garage.

------------------
Chris
2002 Premium
Thunderbird Blue/Blue/Partial

Go my hoise from EZTop so i Had the hard top off for the first time today. I put on the tonneau cover and it was not terrible. In fact, it wen on fairly easy. Just had to convince that the snaps were going to line up. And it looks real good, too, I think.

I would still consider a soft coverin addition if it would back fairly easily.

------------------
VIN 106587 White, White, with chrome hood scoop bezel

BotNew56:

Sorry for the long delay in getting this information to you but putting together the Z3CCA Newlsetter has taken the last 2 weeks of our lives.

Yes there has been progress. Keith got the first alpha prototype about 2 weeks ago. We tried it on my car and it was quite promising but 2 of the snaps were badly off. It was enough of a miss that we decided not to test the wind performance.

We are waiting for a new beta cover, this has been held up, Keith got really sick for a while and was grounded. I was going to post pictures but Keith took them and was too sick to send them to me. We should have a better idea where we are in a week or 2.

Have patienc, it WILL be worth it!

Tom M

Tom M,

Thanks for the update, Hope Keith is better. I was peeking at spring over the horizon and thought I would ask.

Also, will report on something I did to store my "hard" cover. I did not want to store it folded, like it came, so I built a "hanger" consisting of a piece of masonite 30 in. across by about 20 in long. To this I attached snaps to match the snaps on the cover (the end with the 4 snaps, including the one for the storage strap.). Put hooks on the masonite board so it could be hung on the wall. So the board is hung high on the wall and the cover is suspended from the board, flat against the wall.

Then to give it a dust cover, I bought an adult size sleeping bag liner, cotton,about $10. The size, 31" x 75", couldn't be a more perfect fit.

The actual arrangement has a bit more to it, but perhaps you get the idea.

------------------
VIN 106587 White, White, with chrome hood scoop bezel

Several months back Dot asked if I might take a how-to series of pictures on attaching the tonneau cover for her web site. I just completed the photography and will email the results later, but in the meantime here are the descriptions to be added to the photos -
  1. Push the soft top down flush with the boot.
  2. Line up the cover perfectly even on both sides.
  3. Tuck the cover under the body panel on both sides and back.
  4. Making sure is still perfectly aligned, push straight back in the center until the lip is all the way under.
  5. Numbering the snaps 1-6 from left to right, snap shut in this order: 3, 4, 2, 5, 1, 6.
    [/list=a] Closing each snap should produce an audible sound. Note that the female connectors slide around a little on the cover, making it easier to position them. If you get the alignment right before you start and make sure the cover is tucked in all the way around, it should work every time. ymmv
    tongue.gif

-

tr cruiser: I followed your directions to the letter and low and behold my boot cover was successfully installed in 5 minutes flat (with no broken fingernails). I think the key, not mentioned in the owner's manual, is that the locator tabs will move the snaps (which float about 3/4") to greatly simplify installation.
Originally posted by tr cruiser:
Several months back Dot asked if I might take a how-to series of pictures on attaching the tonneau cover for her web site. I just completed the photography and will email the results later, but in the meantime here are the descriptions to be added to the photos -
  1. Push the soft top down flush with the boot.
  2. Line up the cover perfectly even on both sides.
  3. Tuck the cover under the body panel on both sides and back.
  4. Making sure is still perfectly aligned, push straight back in the center until the lip is all the way under.
  5. Numbering the snaps 1-6 from left to right, snap shut in this order: 3, 4, 2, 5, 1, 6.
    [/list=a] Closing each snap should produce an audible sound. Note that the female connectors slide around a little on the cover, making it easier to position them. If you get the alignment right before you start and make sure the cover is tucked in all the way around, it should work every time. ymmv
    tongue.gif

-

------------------
    Jim Williams
    red/red/std blk premium #2 of 2 VIN 1FAHP60A62Y111592
    Mass. tag JWBIRD

tr cruiser,

Thanks. We followed your boot installation instructions and it went on in less than three minutes. No problem now.

confused.gif
RTBRD, as we saw when I was at you place my cover fit much closer to the body along the back of the car then yours did. Since yours was an early car and mine was a little later one I am wondering if they changed the size or cut of the boot. This is something we could find out from everyone on the board.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back