Tape Strips For The Rear Deck | Page 2 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Tape Strips For The Rear Deck

• Thread starter Thread starter 02 TBRD
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to make a request that no one put any information on the boards unless you are absolutely sure of something and have done the research to back up your statement. I caused a LOT of trouble at my Ford dealer because of the information about the TSB and now I have to apologize. I mentioned this website many times in making my case--the dealer kept telling me not to believe what I see on the internet but I kept saying that this is the best source of T-Bird info out there. Now look what's happened.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Yes, the data must be correct and verifiable. However, without this in hand, I took a copy of the postings from the site to the dealer to show how other dealers and or Ford reps were allowing free replacements of the Tape Strip Kits from around the country.
This was very acceptable and I received my kit.
When all else fails show them what the rest ogf the world says and does. The data on these sites are valuable.

Originally posted by 02 TBRD:
Now look what's happened.

You might was well order the XPEL kit if you have to pay for those tape strips that many people were not happy with.

One thing I learned in life is that people like to stray away from the facts at hand. Forget about the TSB and ask why the heck you are having to pay to repair a car under warranty? It is a fact that other dealers have not charges the customers. If the door needs aligned, are you supposed to pay for that too?

How far away is the next closest dealer? You do realize they get paid from Ford for warranty work.

We ordered the tape kit (and we paid for it because our dealer could not find any warranty reimbursement about it) and had it in place while running in hardtop mode for the hottest and rainest part of the summer. We just switched back to rag top mode and I am pleased to report that the tape at least worked as advertised. No scratches on the trunk deck. Now the things not said yet in this thread are that the instructions state not to leave it on for more than 3000 miles (that is why there are 4 applications in a box) OR that if you remove the hardtop you must remove the tape too. As previously noted, the tape extends beyond the edge of the hardtop. The worst part is that the tape's adhesive is exposed in the gap between the trunk deck and the top of the side panel and dirt collects there making it visible up close. XPEL may be the way to go here except the removal process is a lot more complex than the tape and I am uncomfortable with something that "permanent".

Installed my hardtop this week and followed an earlier poster's advice to trip the outer half of the tape strip off prior to installation. Seems to have worked well (I actually only trimmed away the outer third, but it appears that half would have worked okay also). Too early to tell about the dirt buildup making the edges visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back